Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Getting Back on Track

I've been really awful at this blogging thing. However, I'm FINALLY done with school!!! That will be in a post tomorrow so make sure you come and check it out!!

For today I'm going to show you how to make a few great meals on a college budget. I allow myself about $100/month for groceries. Lately this has been really tough for me because I love fresh produce but it's so expensive! I was talking about this with a friend and she recommended a local store called Aldi.


Aldi is a chain store that opened in 1976. It only carries 1,000 products and is extremely less expensive. I only spend $42 on all my staples like bread, lunch meat, fruits/veggies for a week, cheese and crackers. The best buy was the milk though. I got a whole gallon for only $2.29 and at Meijer it's close to $4!!!

With all my fresh produce I decided to make a salad for lunch.


Look at this beauty! It has 3 different kinds of lettuce, cucumbers, apples, grapes, carrots and sliced roast beef. I also pulled a Janae and put goldfish on top :)

While I was doing all that chopping I also made a salad in a to-go container. This helps on time and the produce stays fresher in the Tupperware.


For the dressing I created this pretty thing. I love to combine salad dressings, especially ranch with a more acidic dressing because ranch is ALWAYS too creamy and rich. Today I was feeling spicy but didn't have any spicy dressing so I made this...


It's 1 tablespoon ranch, 1 teaspoon horseradish and 2 tablespoons spicy mustard. I may have used a bit more mustard. Make it according to your taste.

It was amazing with my salad. The spiciness of the dressing made the sweet flavors of the apples and grapes pop. Mix with the cheddar cheese crackers and I was in paradise.

I had a really great workout on the elliptical so I decided to treat myself to this for dinner.


I really loved this cheeseburger!! I've been craving one! I combined it with french fries and mixed vegetables.

The best part of my day was when I entered my info in Myfitness Pal. I was under my calorie goal and ate enough protein. I also drank ALL 8 glasses of water!!! Whoot whoot!!

Watch for my Blog to go under a change. I promise it's only for the good :)

1 comment:

  1. That salad and cheeseburger look soooo yummy! I have those same blue utensils :) Can't wait to see what these changes are that you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving some comment love! I adore reading them and often respond. Please enable your email so I can do so :) Xoxo Elle

How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a checkmark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.