Friday, August 13, 2010

Camp!!!

So I'm terrible at blogging... really terrible and hopefully now that I have a job where I sit at the computer for 5 hrs I will become more frequent and not write a novel every time! Given that, this will be a longer blog but hopefully you'll enjoy!

So you may or may not know but for the last 4 summers I have been a counselor at a church camp called Wesley Woods. It's located in the small village of Dowling, MI and is surrounded by woods and a lake. It's full of bugs (especially on humid days), llamas, and kids. It is a week long and there are 220 kids plus 40 staff members. We have to hike up 45 stairs at least 4 times a day to go from our cabins to our activities. The days are long and the nights short. This is my Paradise!

Now for those that do know me, you're probably thinking "what the heck". I am not a nature girl. I don't like camping. I like to shower everyday and would rather save my money to spend on air conditioning then to go to a movie. But that one week of the year, that muddy, buggy camp is my paradise.

This past year at camp was different from the rest. We lost 15 members of previous years staff due to life changing ( We missed you tons Kate!!). We were scrambling until the last minute to find counselors and then when God said here is your last one... Nick broke his ankle while us staff got to mountain board. So the day before the kids arrive we are short 2 male counselors. We worked through it though with God's guidance and Shane being amazing!! I was especially nervous this year because I had 5th,6th and 7th grade girls (previous years all my girls were under the age of 8). I also had a new counselor who had never been to camp before and she was a mom... not that that's bad but i'm a college student at MSU... what would we have in common and i had to spend a whole week with her.

Well, needless to say I was completely wrong. My girls were amazing... Edna (my co-counselor mom) and I were able to discuss deeper subjects with them and helped a girl accept Christ as her life!! Edna was amazing! We had so much fun together and made great co-counselors! We scared the boy cabin next to us too!! It was probably the best year, despite all the mishaps!!

The best thing about camp is that it reconnects you with God. You are away from life for 1 whole week, surrounded by people who worship and praise just like you and support you through anything. You are responsible for 220 kids who look to you for advice on everything and anything ( I found out that fish drink water!) and you have the most moving experience with God and just chat with him all the time!

During the week we studied Job and I came across this verse, "He prays to God and finds favor with him, he sees God's face and shouts for joy; he is restored by God to his righteous state. "Job 33:26

This describes the week perfectly, he pray and reconnect with God and in return he fills you with so much joy it is uncontainable! I hope that everyone is able to feel this uncontainable joy and if you want any camp stories just ask!!

God Rocks and we Roll :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving some comment love! I adore reading them and often respond. Please enable your email so I can do so :) Xoxo Elle

How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a checkmark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.